Pages

Monday, February 9, 2015

Mommy Monday!



It seems you can find advice just about anywhere for mommies with newborn babies. But what about step moms? Yeah...not so much. Last year, I became a mom by step-parenting two amazingly wonderful boys. And let me tell you, I've had to learn A LOT -- not only on how to be good mom, but on how to be a good mom to BOYS.


Let me start off by saying that I'm a very picky person. I like my house to be clean and things to be put away where they belong. Doesn't sound that complicated, does it?

Ha.

Try keeping your house clean and organized with an 11-year old and a 12-year old running around all the time.

Our boys are ACTIVE. They LOVE sports and doing just about anything that does not involve a TV. Yes, they LOVE watching series on Netflix with us, but that usually happens early in the morning before school or at night when they're getting ready for bed. During the day on weekends? Nope. That rarely happens. They want to be outside playing sports or inside coming up with whatever new invention they heard of through their friends. Yes -- they LOVE making "experiments" that usually involve us having to go grocery shopping (again!) because they used up all the milk, sugar, or whatever they could get their pretty little hands on.

So yes, trying to keep the house clean while we have the boys is a mission next to impossible. But here's the thing: a clean house doesn't matter. Who cares if your house is spotless!!? *Sigh*

Now THAT was something I learned the hard way. Like I said, I like things clean and organized...but I also love spending my free time being a mom.

At first, I'd go around picking stuff up, putting everything away, cleaning up messes, only to have everything laying around and "dirty" in record time. While I picked up one room, they made a mess in the other, and so on. So I gave up. If you can beat 'em, join 'em. So I did. And I've LOVED every minute.





When you have step kids, chances are custody is shared between birth parents...and precisely that's our case. We have them one week, their mom has them the next.  During our time, I pick up what I can at night or while they're at school, but when they're home, we play...we have FUN. If the house gets too messy, they help out by cleaning and picking things up, but then we go back to doing what matters: living as a family.

A dirty house can wait.......kids are only young once. Make it count. ♥ ♥











No comments:

Post a Comment